Our Top Tips For A Memorable Lunch & Learn
What Is A Lunch & Learn And Why Are They a Great Engagement Tool?
There’s no such thing as a free lunch!
Well, almost anyway. A Lunch & Learn is an informal training session held during a lunch hour. The Company provides a catered lunch and employees are often asked to prepare presentations on a subject of their choice. The purpose is to educate employees on new subjects and enhance their awareness of the duties and hobbies of those around them.
Lunch & Learn sessions boast a wide array of benefits. Not only do they boost employee engagement, they also help to build confidence in public speaking and improve team communication. They are often seen as an element of employee training.
You’ve Been Asked To Present. How Do You Ensure Your Session Is A Success?
Understandably, public speaking can be a nerve-wracking experience, but it is important for both employers and employees to get involved with presenting. Whether you speak about your hobbies, your job duties, or simply something that interests you, everyone is bound to leave your session having learned something new.
For maximum engagement, consider an interactive lesson in which you teach your audience about a subject, then test them on their knowledge. Quizzes, learning tasks, and discussions are all brilliant ways to promote team bonding and encourage healthy competition.
Concluding your session by answering questions and providing takeaway sheets such as further reading and presentation summaries will ensure the knowledge you’ve shared won’t be forgotten.
What Could You Speak About?
It’s the night before your session and you’re still stuck with what to speak about. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
Take a look at our suggested subject matters to ensure that your Lunch & Learn is exciting, educational, and memorable.
– About You
- Provide an overview of your industry and job role. How does your daily routine play out? What is the most exciting part of your role? What is the hardest?
- Tell an amusing personal story that will allow your colleagues to get to know you better. For example, explain the most embarrassing thing you’ve ever done, tell a secret, or recount the worst date/meeting you’ve ever attended.
- Hold a show and tell by bringing in an interesting possession. Explain where it came from and what makes it special.
- Teach your colleagues one of your hobbies. E.g origami, yoga, drawing.
- Recount a recent trip you went on. Where did you go? What did you learn?
– Your Opinions / Advice
- Give your best advice for dealing with a difficult client.
- Share your best networking tips.
- List your top 10 most influential people in history with reasons why.
- Share the apps/websites that help you most with your job. Bonus points if nobody in the room is already using them!
- Introduce a little-known book or film that you think deserves more recognition. Challenge your colleagues to go away and watch/read it.
– Bonus Topics
- Research and share 30 useful things you can do in one minute- challenge your team to return to their desks and try a few.
- Introduce 10 strange animals you’ve never heard of.
- Explain the wildest conspiracy theory you can find. Encourage your team to debate their opinions.
- Research and provide a detailed insight into another culture.
- Teach your audience the basics of another language. Test their memory over the next few days.
- Watch a TEDx Talk on a new subject. Encourage a detailed discussion about it after.
- Write a quiz based on your interests or a subject you previously studied. Test how much your colleagues know!
If you would like further advice about running your own Lunch & Learn sessions, our expert HR team can assist you. To find out more about how we work and how we can help your business, please get in touch or call directly on +44 (0) 2381590059.